- Open a Microsoft Office application from the Start Menu. If you want to fix Word file, then open Microsoft Word; if you want to repair Excel file, then open Microsoft Excel, etc.
- In the Microsoft Office window, click on the circular Office button at the top-left corner and select Open from the menu.
- When the Open File dialog is opened, select the file you want to repair, then click on the downward arrow next to the Open button and select from the drop-down list.
- Microsoft Office will show you options to repair the file or extract data from the file. If this is the first time you are trying to repair the file, then click on the Repair button. If you have tried to repair the file before without success, then you should choose Extract Data.
- Office will attempt to repair the file and open it. Once the file is opened, you can save it with a different name by clicking on the Office button and choosing Save As.