X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To Create a System Restore Point in Windows 10

Greetings, wonderful community! Today, I present you with a how-to post! I'll show you how to create a system restore point using Windows 10.

Creating a system restore point in Windows 10 is fairly simple and highly beneficial. But, first...

What is a System Restore Point in Windows 10?

A system restore point in Windows 10 is a snapshot of your current system settings. You can return to these system settings anytime these occur:
    • Windows Registry changes
    • Windows Driver changes
    • Windows Update changes
    • Malware or virus
    What about my files!!?

Personal files and documents such as pictures, music, videos, and Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word documents will be not affected or erased. Recently, downloaded programs and files such as executable files (.exe files; files downloaded from the internet) might be removed.

Can I use the System Restore tool to restore deleted files?

Yes!

Can I access the tool via safe mode?

Yes!

Give me examples!

I will provide two examples when the System Restore tool was a lifesaver for me. About a month ago, my computer started running very slowly and that's highly chaotic; I am a writer, and slow computers and I don't mix unless I want to go absolutely bananas. So, I thought, let me go back to one of the restore points I created before and bingo! My computer was up and running. The System Restore tool simply returned my computer to the system settings in the restore point I had created a couple of weeks before. So, something such as a file or program I must have downloaded from the internet during that period of time had changed my system settings and the System Restore tool helped me restore them. Phew.

Another time, my WiFi utility was not working, and I also panicked. But, I used the tool and again it helped. I believe it might have been I deleted a driver or something happened to it. So, you might see why the System Restore tool might come in handy. Creating a system restore point is easy, takes less than five minutes, and it's a good thing to have just in case you run into problems. So, here we go:

How to create a system restore point in Windows 10
    Click image for larger version

Name:	www.GIFCreator.me_LywguF.gif
Views:	1
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	8955

Step One:
    By simply traveling to your Windows 10 navigation bar, typically on the bottom, you'll find the search box. In there, type the first two letters of the word 'create' and the result ' Create a Restore Point' should appear like shown above by the GIF.

Step Two:

Click the result, and it will inform you ( if you have never used it) that the feature is not turned on and if you'll like to turn it on. Left-click yes and it will take you to the Wizard, which will help you create your restore point.

If it's already turn on it, it will take you to a small screen where you can configure settings by clicking configure and make new restore points by clicking create. If you wish to return to a restore point, simply click 'System Restore' that should appear right at the top. It should look like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	picwindowstutorial.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	8956

Now anytime your computer has an OOPS moment, you can rest assured you can always go back.

Other ways to access the System Restore tool:

Navigate to the control panel and in the search box type the first two letters of the word 'Create'.

In safe mode, depending on your PC there will be many ways to access safe mode (search online or refer to your manual) from there repeat the same steps above. (From experience, I owned an HP and pressing F8 repeatedly when the logo appeared allowed me to enter into safe mode; this may work but to be positive check on the official site of the brand who manufactured the computer. If you still can't find the information, there may be an online representative to help you)

Notice: I am not a Windows expert, I am deriving from my everyday expertise as a daily user of a computer that contains Windows 10 and the passion for learning. So, I am not responsible if something happens to your computer. Always do a lot of research and ask questions if you're unsure! I'm pretty sure that's one good reasons forums exist; ask questions! GIF made using the screenshot key "PrtSc", which means 'Print Screen', the Windows program Paint, and http://gifcreator.me/.

Hope this helps tremendously! You may post questions of course, and I'll try my best to answer them or help you out with them. Best of wishes and remember: enjoy your life!

Sincerely,

Ninaa_Techs
    Last edited by Ninaa_Techs; 21-08-2016, 04:25 AM.

Excellent post Ninaa_Techs!

Comment

I cannot tell you how many times I have kicked myself for not doing this. I think more than anything I just need someone to slap me in the face and remind me once I get everything set up. Is there a program for that? Of course I am only kidding, and this does look very helpful, so thank you for sharing. Anything that can really add to my sense of security is probably a good thing for everyone around me. Thanks again for sharing.

Comment

Working...
      X