X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the earliest of memory of Microsoft do you remember?

I can clearly remember when I was younger in the late 80s. this was during the time when in order for the computers to work, after the computer loads its diagnostics. You have to feed the computer the diskette for DOS (Disk Operating System), for it to be able to do anything with the computer. It acted like the driver or something for the computer to play either a game or read a file. What are your earliest memories?

Originally posted by lamanlupa View Post
    I can clearly remember when I was younger in the late 80s. this was during the time when in order for the computers to work, after the computer loads its diagnostics. You have to feed the computer the diskette for DOS (Disk Operating System), for it to be able to do anything with the computer. It acted like the driver or something for the computer to play either a game or read a file. What are your earliest memories?
    My earliest Windows would most likely be 95. It was a pretty good Windows. I used to like playing the games in DOS mode and I liked how it was set up, of course after using all these other windows it most likely would feel strange to be using it now.

Comment

Originally posted by moreno58 View Post
      My earliest Windows would most likely be 95. It was a pretty good Windows. I used to like playing the games in DOS mode and I liked how it was set up, of course after using all these other windows it most likely would feel strange to be using it now.
      Really i miss windows 95, it was in my student life computer in the residential school, does anyone have played very old game prince of Persia? that was very nice at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by moreno58 View Post
        Really i miss windows 95, it was in my student life computer in the residential school, does anyone have played very old game prince of Persia? that was very nice at that time.

Comment

Prince of Persia was a great game! My dad had it on his old Macintosh Performa in the 90s. I was actually going to post about Windows 95 and playing Sim City. I used to go over to my friends house and we would use his dads computer to play Sim City. We would take turns controlling the city and switch off after the taxes were collected. This was my first exposure to Windows and Sim City for that matter. Ever since then both of these things have had a pretty big presence in my life.

Comment

Oh well this certainly takes me back a long time. I am not really sure of the first experience that I had with Windows, but I do have a pretty vivid image of that logo. It was the one with the light blue background, and the big window with the little flag behind it that looked like it was flying in. I want to say that it came through the screen when you were loading, but I might be mixing my OS experiences here. Anyways, it is good to get a little nostalgia going, so thank for sharing.

Comment

Come on, that's kind of an old experience, indeed.

I still remember when I was just a kid, it was around eleven years ago or something like that when I first went to a cyber cafe, I did not have a PC back then because my parents were not the kind of people that considered owning a PC as anything relevant, therefore, I had to go to the cyber cafe almost every single day to have fun and play some games, obviously, all the PCs were running Windows XP, it did not happen too long ago, just eleven years, but it is nothing in comparison with you, but those were some good times, I still remember when I played an online game for the first time, good old days.

Comment

Cyber Cafe(!) how many years, i had dialup and some Cyber Cafes had DSL. I remember a Cafe where i downloaded first time with 1MBPS speed and i was behing the screen watching that like i was watching the moonlanding!

Comment

Yes, I remember DoS and Windows 3.1. Although Windows was already a thing when I started with computers, there are still tons of programs that needed DoS. It tooks a few more years to move to a decent windows system when Windows 95 came out.

Comment

My earliest memory is learning to write simple programs called batch files. It's just a text file with commands in it. The computer runs each of the commands in the batch file one at a time. DOS computers had a file called Autoexec.bat, which contained all the commands you needed to run at startup. I put a series of commands into the autoexec.bat file on a computer at a library somewhere, that asked if you wanted to format the hard drive. No matter what you said, it would react as if it told you to format. Then it would run the DIR command with the output routed to null, and append a dot to the end of a line of text on the screen. It would do that about twenty times. The whole time, you'd think it was wiping out all the data on your computer.

Then it would boot into windows 3.1 as if nothing had happened.

Good times.

Comment

In 1996, my family got our first computer. I remember the first time it was turned on, and I saw the Windows 95 logo. I had never head of Microsoft before this, because the only exposure to computers I had was something called public domain that I got a few minutes to play with at a school. After my friend Kevin showed me how to use the thing, I was hooked, and I have gone through many computers since then, and now I could not imagine living without one. Also, I still have that old computer in a storage room, as I cannot bear to part with it, because it holds too many good memories.

Comment

My earliest memory of Microsoft windows is Win98 at early 2000s. It was a quite fast and stable operating system, I remember pretty well that Os was my first contact with desktop computers. Didn't replace it until WinXP came around, the awful reputation of WinME deterred me from upgrading my trusty 98 into that messy thing.

Comment

My first computer came with Windows 3.1. I had to use a large 5.25" floppy diskette to boot the PC. I do remember that you have to be 'smart' and know the different commands in DOS in order to do something with your files unlike now where you can just left click or right click to open a directory, change directory, delete files, etc. And yes, back then, we had Wordstar and Lotus 123 (spreadsheet). Screen resolution was quite low and black and white monitors were more widely used.

Comment

It was during the mid 90s, I was introduced to Personal Computers. I was a ninth grader and computer was one of our vocational subjects. Some of the programs that I was taught in schools were DOS, Word Perfect, QBASIC etc.Since I wanted to learn more, I enrolled in a computer training institute where I was introduced to Windows. I took a six months diploma course that included Micosoft Offic package.

Comment

In thе TV shоw triаngulаtiоn thе Miсrоsоft jоurnаlist Mаry-Jо Fоlеy rеvеаlеd аt оnе intеrviеw Bill lосkеd himsеlf in thе bаthrооm till а jоurnаlist аpоlоgisеd аnd оn аnоthеr оссаsiоn him mоm сlеаnеd his glаssеs fоr him dеspitе him bеing 30 аt thе timе!

Comment

Working...
                              X