X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that most people are using Windows simply because they've become very used to it. Since it was first released, Microsoft has positioned Windows very cleverly in the market, and it has retained its market dominance ever since. The way Windows works is simple and intuitive, and most companies build their software only for Windows.

Linux has tried to become an alternative, but there is very limited software for Linux. And Linux also requires entering command lines, while Windows can be used just by doing point-and-click.
    The command line system can be an advantage according to some people, but it still means having to learn new things, just to use the computer. Most people wouldn't bother with that.

Comment

I love that almost everything is designed for Windows. I do keep a laptop with Ubuntu, and a Mac Mini with OSX around for the few jobs that they are better at, but Windows is what I use for the majority of my day to day operations. When a developer is writing a piece of software, it seems his first priority is to make it Windows compatible. As far as ease of use, I liked XP the best, but I am getting used to 10, as it is not that hard to learn a few new things.

Comment

It seems that for me Windows is my go to just through my lifetime experience of using it. All of my computers have been PCs with Windows installed as the OS. When I was in school Windows is what I was taught on. This has made it something I am familiar and comfortable with even if it is not the best product available it still satisfies my needs. The first computer I ever used was a Macintosh Performa my dad bought back in the day but this was way before computers were ubiquitous as they are today. Other than in my house when I was a little child I used Windows everywhere and when I finally bought my own computer it had Windows on it. I have no plans of switching to any other OS as my needs are being met.

Comment

This is a really interesting question.

I personally think that I prefer windows over any other OS because it's basically the OS I have grown up with and it's also the one I have been using since I was just a little kid, I have learned a lot of things with Windows and I really doubt I will use any other OS whatsoever, I know it could be a good idea to experiment with a different OS, but it is hard for me and most people to leave something you already got used to just to somehow start again with an OS you do not really know anything about, that's my opinion though.

Comment

Well the first thing that jumped to mind was just familiarity. Like a lot of others, I grew up using the PC and Windows and I just got to the point where that is what I was used to. I remember in school they introduced the Mac and started using those in the elementary schools, but then when we got older they were still using the PC, so that just continued to be my go to. I just put it under the "if it ain't broke don't fix it"category, and I have not had too many issues overall.

Comment

When security, quality updates and 99% reliable stability is not a major concern, I prefer Windows over GNU/Linux, but mostly for leisure purposes. For any other more serious activities (like running a server), I'd rather put my trust over open source software. Windows is really intuitive, .exe installation is almost braindead compared to installing a package in Linux, and you don't have to write shell command prompts over a terminal for installing programs or checking updates.
              Last edited by windigo; 21-08-2016, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Availability of software. I know ease of use is a big factor for many but with time Linux has become much more user friendly than it was. To me the main issue is the availability of tools. Many apps I need is not available in other OS or there are no good alternatives. For example, Linux has many alternative for the office suite but none as good. Same goes for many other tools. Then there are driver issues for certain hardware and even though I am not much of a gamer, I still like to play form time to time and most of the good titles are not available on Linux.

Comment

Now that I know there are many programs that are mirror images of things like MS Office, I rather go with an OS like Linux. I always thought MS was the best because I never heard of anything else on the market. I always heard about Apple, and a few others that I didn't even know was OS's like Linux and Ubuntu, but now I have been looking into Linux and want to switch.

I just don't like all the tracking, many programs are trials, I don't like paying for stuff that is installed on my PC already, it's so stupid to me. They want to monetize everything.

Comment

I grew up with Windows and the experience has been satisfactory thus far. Most people I know use Windows as OS and so does our office. I have no plans to switch to Linux or Mac OS because it will take time to learn and understand them, a time that I could put to better use by learning more important things. I find that Windows is improving a lot and is getting more user-friendly than ever.

Comment

For me, Windows is not a choice. I play World of Warcraft and there is no native Linux client for the game. If there is, then I would be using Linux all the time. However, I don't really hate Windows. It's an operating system which I have been using for a long time. It has also earned me quite a bit of money. At the time when Windows XP was first released, not many people knew how to install it correctly. I could and I did. For a fee. I still remember having one regular client who paid me, once a month, to re-install his Windows XP because he liked to mess around with it and always made a mess of it in the end. At $50 a pop, it was good money since I use my own auto-installation disk. Just pop in the CD, boot up, play games on another computer, finish the job and collect the fee.

Comment

I prefer Windows over other operating system because I have never tried any other operating system. Since I have never tried other operating system, I cannot compare Windows with any other OS. I have been using Windows since 95, when I was introduced to computer for the first time. When I had my own computer, it had Windows 98. Windows caters my all needs, I have never felt any necessity to use other operating systems.

Comment

Bесаusе it strеаms Nеtflix whеn I'm trаvеling fоr muсh bеttеr viеwing оptiоns thаn hоtеl pаy-pеr-viеw, runs Gооglе Skеtсhup, аnd lеts mе usе H&R Blосk Tаxсut yеаrly withоut jumping thrоugh а lоt оf hооps.
                          Bесаusе I likе dеlivеring prоduсts tо Windоws usеrs willing tо pаy tо mаkе thеir pаin pоints gо аwаy.
                          оthеrwisе I stiсk tо еxpеrt friеndly plаtfоrms with unix shеlls аnd sсriptаblе dеbuggеrs likе Linux, BSD, оS X, еtс.

Comment

Working...
                          X