X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aree Wongwanlee View Post
    I believe the initial negative response to Windows 10 has got a lot to do with the dramatic make-over they did to the user interface. Windows users, just like any other regular user of any product, like to use what they are comfortable with. So, they are comfortable with the traditional Windows interface and Windows 10 is nothing like what they are used to. Myself, I installed Windows 10 because, at that time, I don't have a smartphone or any other Android device and I was intrigued by this swiping thing. Although I wasn't using a touch screen, Windows 10 gave me a chance to have a go at the swiping thing, even if only with a mouse. And I liked it. In fact, I liked it enough to start using Android.

Now, just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad. It's just too bad that a lot of traditional Windows users don't see it that way. They like the traditional interface and they are sticking to it. My son, for example, uses Windows 7. He is happy with it and he is sticking to it. Perhaps if Microsoft is not so fixated on beating Android, things would have been different. As it is, Windows 10 is being marketed so aggressively, almost like shoving it down the throats of Windows users, that their marketing strategy is generating probably more negative reaction than otherwise.
    I totally agree with this. Personally, I don't get it at all why Windows has to compete with Android. It's already pretty successful as it is being the most used desktop OS. Well, maybe I just have a different mindset about success. Anyway, I liked the traditional Windows interface best, but I'm slowly getting used to Windows 10's user interface. And I'm kinda liking it.

Comment

I think this is what happened at Microsoft. They had been be leaders in the world of computers. Windows is the default OS. They were used to being the people who set the pace. With Windows, they had the majority of computer users by the nose, so to speak. Then Android came along and grew and grew until it became the dominant force in the the world of computers. Well, more like in the world of computing devices, since a smartphone or a tablet is a computing device, though not exactly like what you think a computer would look like. This change of scenario did not sit well with the mindset of the people at Microsoft. They were the kings of the castle. Now they have been dethroned.

What to do?

They cannot buy out Android. It's open source. They cannot buyout Google. It's too big. So how to get back their previous exalted position? Write a new operating system? Yes, that's what they did. Market it as a new operating system? No, they marketed it as a new version of their existing operating system. Therein lies the problem. Maybe if they had marketed it as a new operating system, things might have been different. As it is, by forcefeeding Windows 10 to their existing user base, they have made a lot of their users unhappy. I am not affected because I had never loved Microsoft in the first place. I only use Microsoft products when I don't have a choice. I use alternatives whenever possible.

Comment

Yes, it has been successful. Most of the new computers I have seen for sale come with it, and everyone I have talked to that use it like it. Over time, more people will become users because they buy new computers with Windows 10 installed, and with older versions loosing support and not being sold, their users will shrink. I have noticed that a lot of schools and businesses also update to the latest version of Windows as soon as it is available, which will lead to more users. All in all, I believe in less than 5 years, Windows 10 will be the absolute dominant version, and not just the most popular. The Mac and Linux guys will still have their systems, but as far as Windows goes, 10 will be the big dog.

Comment

Windows 10 will be the big dog? I have my doubts. The world is going mobile. Facebook has recognized this fact, made changes and succeeded with the changes it made. Microsoft has also recognized this fact, made changes but has not succeeded with the changes it made. No, I don't think Windows 10 will succeed if it is Microsoft's intention to use Windows 10 to compete with Android for more share in the mobile market. Windows 10 is simply not flying.

I am not saying that Windows 10, by itself, is not a viable product. I am just saying that Microsoft will have to go back to the drawing board to come up with something better to become a significant player in the mobile market.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJoe View Post
            I think that it's still early to say but it did have a bumpy start if you compare it to windows 7. There are still a lot of people that refuse to upgrade to windows 10, but if windows 10 is really the last operating system that Microsoft is going to launch (which I find hard to believe) then they have to do it sooner or later.
            It definitely is hard to believe, Microsoft will never give up on developing OS unless they make more versions of Windows 10 as they have been doing with the previous Windows versions, it's right that many people do not want to switch to Windows 10 yet and I am one of those people, however, I will keep considering it as an option for my upcoming PC.

Comment

Coming from Windows 8, I would say that Windows 10 has a lot more to offer. If not for Windows 10, I would have downgraded to Windows 7 instead after a 1 year warranty. As for success, I don't think that adoption has been as fast as expected. There were many negative feedbacks about Windows 10, including Microsoft's tendency to intrude on users' personal settings. All I know is the emergence of these three OS rendered some of my hardware obsolete, including an all-in-one printer I bough in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by zeta View Post
                Coming from Windows 8, I would say that Windows 10 has a lot more to offer. If not for Windows 10, I would have downgraded to Windows 7 instead after a 1 year warranty. As for success, I don't think that adoption has been as fast as expected. There were many negative feedbacks about Windows 10, including Microsoft's tendency to intrude on users' personal settings. All I know is the emergence of these three OS rendered some of my hardware obsolete, including an all-in-one printer I bough in 2008.
                Oh, really? That's sad. So what happened in the end? Did you have to buy a new printer or were you able to find the driver for your all-in-one print after searching? If you haven't bought a new printer, don't rush. Give it a bit of time. The printer manufacturers normally take care of their own customers by releasing updated drivers to work with Windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Aree Wongwanlee View Post

Oh, really? That's sad. So what happened in the end? Did you have to buy a new printer or were you able to find the driver for your all-in-one print after searching? If you haven't bought a new printer, don't rush. Give it a bit of time. The printer manufacturers normally take care of their own customers by releasing updated drivers to work with Windows 10.

My printer was HP 915 All-in-One which I bought in 2008. I searched all over the internet for an updated driver and I was out of luck. I think that HP has stopped producing this printer and had ceased its support. Fortunately, we were able to revive a desktop that uses Windows XP and we were able to at least maximize the use of the printer or at least the scanner service. We had more luck with our Canon printer for which an updated driver has been released.

Comment

Originally posted by zeta View Post

My printer was HP 915 All-in-One which I bought in 2008. I searched all over the internet for an updated driver and I was out of luck. I think that HP has stopped producing this printer and had ceased its support. Fortunately, we were able to revive a desktop that uses Windows XP and we were able to at least maximize the use of the printer or at least the scanner service. We had more luck with our Canon printer for which an updated driver has been released.
                    It is quite weird that you could not find those drivers, HP usually allows you any driver from their web page, however, I personally think you did not dig deep enough when searching, those drivers may be around not too far from you, you just have to know where to search, also, it is weird because HP is kind of the most popular printer brand, they should be able to provide you anything you need, it's really weird, it also happened to me with an old printer that I had, but I upgraded it to a wireless one so I did not use it anymore.

Comment

I think so. For instance, everyone I know always upgraded to win10 and they say it's the best os yet. For me, it's been great too, works great, runs way better than win7 (my previous os) and so far, zero problems.

Comment

In my personal experience it has been outstanding from Day 1. It's been a great OS and I can honestly say that I haven't experienced many problems if any, that weren't down to a software that wasn't easily fixed. My main issue was trying to use the PC while Skype had that horrible 99% disk usage glitch. I have turned a lot of the brand new Windows 10 features off however an Operating System that brings games such as Forza to my PC, I cannot really complain.

Comment

I agree with many users here: Windows 10 is still in its relative infancy. Sure, there have been bugs and hiccups, but that's not really different from any main operating system release. However, I can't shake the feeling that the Windows 10 interface was primarily designed for the various Microsoft touchscreen devices. It just doesn't have that desktop "feel". It could simply be a result of the fact that I've only been using it for a month or so and have yet to really get used to it. Time will tell, I suppose...

Comment

Originally posted by mike13579 View Post
                            I agree with many users here: Windows 10 is still in its relative infancy. Sure, there have been bugs and hiccups, but that's not really different from any main operating system release. However, I can't shake the feeling that the Windows 10 interface was primarily designed for the various Microsoft touchscreen devices. It just doesn't have that desktop "feel". It could simply be a result of the fact that I've only been using it for a month or so and have yet to really get used to it. Time will tell, I suppose...
                            It is a good point what you stated about the touchscreen purposes, I ha had not really considered it and it definitely makes sense, it was especially developed for that kind of device which makes it a little bit more complicated when itcomes to using the panels and stuff, I just realized, that's such a nice opinion though.

Comment

Working...
                            X