X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think Windows 10 has been successful ever since it was released?

The title says it all, I have read many articles related to Windows versions and their popularity throughout time and that sort of things, I also read that Windows 10 and Windows 8 were not as successful as Microsoft expected them to be, I do not really know how reliable that information may be, but that is why I would like to ask you guys, is there any well explained reason for this,? is this basically wrong?

Well, this is a good question.
    Most Windows 10 users may say "Windows 10 is a rerribly mistake" but i Dont.
    Currently Windows 10 has many things that needs to be changed, but this happened with all Windws at their first years.
    Remember from windows xo first release, no one liked it. But after service packs and corrections everybody loved XP.
    Same thing happened with 7.
    Microsoft has made big changes on Win 10, so these are big corrections that needs to be made. I believe that Windows 10 will become better and better over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Evidenc3 View Post
      Well, this is a good question.
      Most Windows 10 users may say "Windows 10 is a rerribly mistake" but i Dont.
      Currently Windows 10 has many things that needs to be changed, but this happened with all Windws at their first years.
      Remember from windows xo first release, no one liked it. But after service packs and corrections everybody loved XP.
      Same thing happened with 7.
      Microsoft has made big changes on Win 10, so these are big corrections that needs to be made. I believe that Windows 10 will become better and better over time.
      I really think the same, but I definitely have to see it in order to believe it, however, I personally think Windows 10 has a great potential and it's also a good looking OS when it comes to graphics and such things, I will not lie to you, I have not used it yet, but trust me, I have read a lot about its features, options, the changelogs and I do believe it could be a better OS in a close future.

Comment

Windоws 10 will suссееd.
        еvеry sесоnd Windоws vеrsiоn is wildly pоpulаr аnd suссеssful. Windоws 3.1, Windоws XP, Windоws 7, аnd nоw Windоws 10 -- hugе suссеssеs! Thеsе аrе pеrfесting vеrsiоns.
        Unfоrtunаtеly, thе piоnееring vеrsiоns in bеtwееn аrе nоt аs grеаt. Windоws 3, Windоws Mе, Windоws Vistа, аnd Windоws 8. Ugh.
        I think thе оnly еxсеptiоns tо this rulе wеrе Windоws 95 аnd 98. In thаt саsе, thе situаtiоn wаs rеvеrsеd: thе piоnееring vеrsiоn (Win95) wаs wildly pоpulаr, аnd sо thе pеrfесting vеrsiоn (Win98) wаs nоt sо muсh.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly1 View Post
          Windоws 10 will suссееd.
          еvеry sесоnd Windоws vеrsiоn is wildly pоpulаr аnd suссеssful. Windоws 3.1, Windоws XP, Windоws 7, аnd nоw Windоws 10 -- hugе suссеssеs! Thеsе аrе pеrfесting vеrsiоns.
          Unfоrtunаtеly, thе piоnееring vеrsiоns in bеtwееn аrе nоt аs grеаt. Windоws 3, Windоws Mе, Windоws Vistа, аnd Windоws 8. Ugh.
          I think thе оnly еxсеptiоns tо this rulе wеrе Windоws 95 аnd 98. In thаt саsе, thе situаtiоn wаs rеvеrsеd: thе piоnееring vеrsiоn (Win95) wаs wildly pоpulаr, аnd sо thе pеrfесting vеrsiоn (Win98) wаs nоt sо muсh.
          I have to disagree when talking about the most popular version, I personally think it definitely was Windows XP, I still see many devices using Windows XP and these still run properly, I know that Win 98 was widely popular but I believe that XP was way more pupular and lasted longer than Win 98, that's my opinion though.

Comment

How would you measure the success of Windows 10?

If you mean whether it works, it does. Well, it works as well as Windows could work. I have just had an update in the past week. It took a while to download and install. When everything was finished, the only difference that I could discern was the size of the icons. They look a wee bit bigger. Oh, the start button brought up a slightly re-arranged set of options. Now I cannot remember exactly what the previous arrangement was. That shows how easy it is to adapt to the changes, which means that Windows 10 works, for me, at least. If the changes were jarring or makes me stumble when I use them, then they don't work as they should.

So, in that sense, Windows 10 is successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Aree Wongwanlee View Post
              How would you measure the success of Windows 10?

If you mean whether it works, it does. Well, it works as well as Windows could work. I have just had an update in the past week. It took a while to download and install. When everything was finished, the only difference that I could discern was the size of the icons. They look a wee bit bigger. Oh, the start button brought up a slightly re-arranged set of options. Now I cannot remember exactly what the previous arrangement was. That shows how easy it is to adapt to the changes, which means that Windows 10 works, for me, at least. If the changes were jarring or makes me stumble when I use them, then they don't work as they should.

So, in that sense, Windows 10 is successful.
              I am basically talking about its ratings according to the user reviews, sales, and that sort of thing, I already know it works, but, has it fit users tastes at all?

Comment

Alright, here are some figures to chew on.

Windows 10, according to Microsoft, is running on 350 million machines. This amounts to about 20% of the market share. Windows 7 has double the market share at close to 50%. So, statistically, in terms of installation, Windows 7 is twice as successful as Windows 10.

I think the vast difference in market between the two Windows versions lies in the interface. Windows 7 is still close to the traditional Windows look and feel. Windows 10 is designed to compete against Android. That is a very ambitious objective. Android has a very big user base. According to Google, there are 1.4 billion Android users. And although there are many versions of Android, the look and feel has been consistent throughout.

Now, can Windows 10 catch up with Android?

It's going to be an uphill battle, a very steep uphill battle. People who use desktops move on easily to using smartphones. People who use smartphones may have very little need to use desktops. Microsoft's concept of Windows 10 is that people who use smartphones will feel at home when they use Windows 10 on desktops but it's a long bet. As it is, smartphones are taking over most of the functions of the desktops already, so there is not much necessity to move from smartphones to desktops.

Comment

Windows 10, according to Microsoft, is running on 350 million machines. .
                  Now it is 400+ million machines

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly1 View Post

Now it is 400+ million machines
                    Good to know that the number of Windows 10 users are growing. Still, it's a long way from 1.4 billion Android users. Yes, Microsoft said that Windows is running on 1 billion machines but then again, while the different versions of Android have basically the same look and feel, Windows 10 cannot be lumped together with the earlier versions of Windows because it was designed to be overtly different from the earlier versions.

I feel that, if measured against itself, Windows 10 can be considered to be successful because it fulfills the needs of those who have chosen to use it. However, if it is measured as a competitor to Android, it's probably a lost cause.

Comment

Windows 10, according to Microsoft, is running on 350 million machines. This amounts to about 20% of the market share. Windows 7 has double the market share at close to 50%. So, statistically, in terms of installation, Windows 7 is twice as successful as Windows 10.

I think the vast difference in market between the two Windows versions lies in the interface. Windows 7 is still close to the traditional Windows look and feel. Windows 10 is designed to compete against Android. That is a very ambitious objective. Android has a very big user base. According to Google, there are 1.4 billion Android users. And although there are many versions of Android, the look and feel has been consistent throughout.

Now, can Windows 10 catch up with Android?

It's going to be an uphill battle, a very steep uphill battle. People who use desktops move on easily to using smartphones. People who use smartphones may have very little need to use desktops. Microsoft's concept of Windows 10 is that people who use smartphones will feel at home when they use Windows 10 on desktops but it's a long bet. As it is, smartphones are taking over most of the functions of the desktops already, so there is not much necessity to move from smartphones to desktops.

I personally think that Microsoft will not ever be able to beat Android when it comes to Mobile OS, it is going to be a hard battle for Microsoft and we've already seen that it's way too hard for them, Windows Phones are not as commercial as Android devices and we all know that; the real battle is between Apple and Android or Apple and Microsoft when it comes to PC OS.

Comment

Well I am not sure if this is the best criteria on which to base the success, but I am going with it. I would have to say no, just because I have heard far more criticism about this one than previous versions. I am still just beginning with it, so I am okay so far, but I cannot help but notice that others are not reviewing it well and there seems to be a lot of issues that still need working out. I guess we shall see, though. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I think that it's still early to say but it did have a bumpy start if you compare it to windows 7. There are still a lot of people that refuse to upgrade to windows 10, but if windows 10 is really the last operating system that Microsoft is going to launch (which I find hard to believe) then they have to do it sooner or later.

Comment

I believe the initial negative response to Windows 10 has got a lot to do with the dramatic make-over they did to the user interface. Windows users, just like any other regular user of any product, like to use what they are comfortable with. So, they are comfortable with the traditional Windows interface and Windows 10 is nothing like what they are used to. Myself, I installed Windows 10 because, at that time, I don't have a smartphone or any other Android device and I was intrigued by this swiping thing. Although I wasn't using a touch screen, Windows 10 gave me a chance to have a go at the swiping thing, even if only with a mouse. And I liked it. In fact, I liked it enough to start using Android.

Now, just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad. It's just too bad that a lot of traditional Windows users don't see it that way. They like the traditional interface and they are sticking to it. My son, for example, uses Windows 7. He is happy with it and he is sticking to it. Perhaps if Microsoft is not so fixated on beating Android, things would have been different. As it is, Windows 10 is being marketed so aggressively, almost like shoving it down the throats of Windows users, that their marketing strategy is generating probably more negative reaction than otherwise.

Comment

Personally, I think it has been successful. I'm not fond of Windows 8, but I think Windows 10 is better. For me, Windows 7 is still the best, but that's because I'm much more used to it. I think that if we give Windows 10 a bit more time, it will become something big. Well, that's just how I feel.

Comment

Working...
                              X