X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yеs! ассоrding tо thе оffiсiаl stаtеmеnts Windоws 10 is thе lаst but this might bе pоssiblе thаt аftеr it thеy rеnаmе thе upсоming vеrsiоn аnd mаy сhаngе thе аrсhitесturе littlе bit аs thеy dоеsn't sаid thаt thеy stоp mаking оs.

Comment

I really don't understand how they can say something like this. Unless computers stop evolving I can see how this could happen but hardware is always taking that one step further. So what if computers start getting launched with 128bit processors, how will they deal with that? There isn't a upgrade that could solve that problem.

Comment

Will Windows 10 be the last operating system from Microsoft?

Well, that's what they say and that's what they want us to believe. Not that we have to believe it. Anyone who believes marketing spiel needs their heads examined. We just take it at face value. They speak, we listen. We don't have to take it to heart. Nothing remain static in cyberspace. It's where things change at a very much higher pace than in real life. I don't think we have to wait even 10 years to see a new operating system. They will think of some new way of justifying the launch of the new operating system. That will be a certainty.

Comment

Originally posted by Aree Wongwanlee View Post
          Will Windows 10 be the last operating system from Microsoft?

Well, that's what they say and that's what they want us to believe. Not that we have to believe it. Anyone who believes marketing spiel needs their heads examined. We just take it at face value. They speak, we listen. We don't have to take it to heart. Nothing remain static in cyberspace. It's where things change at a very much higher pace than in real life. I don't think we have to wait even 10 years to see a new operating system. They will think of some new way of justifying the launch of the new operating system. That will be a certainty.
          That's what I'm thinking as well. There are a lot of people that didn't want to upgrade to windows 10 but if it really the last operating system they won't really have a choice when windows 7 looses it's support.

Comment

I think that there is really no way that Windows 10 could be the last operating system from Microsoft. They probably do mean what they say, but with the rate that hardware changes, updates could not change enough of the system to make it compatible in my opinion, though I may be wrong. Hardware 20 years down the road will probably be vastly different than what we have today. I believe in the future, they will be forced to release a new system, because Windows 10 will not be able to run on hardware that it was not designed for, and there is no way to design Windows 10 for hardware that does not yet exist.

Comment

According to Moore's Law, computing speed will double every two years. So in two years' time, today's OS will have to cope with hardware that runs at twice the speed. There's no way any current OS can cope with such an increment in hardware performance. The OS must be modified to make full use of the the capabilities of the hardware. So even if Microsoft insists on retaining the name Windows 10, they have to make changes, a lot of changes, to the underlying code, to the point where, two years from now, the underlying code would be totally different from what it is today.

Comment

Well, I guess that means they will not change the core name of this Operating System, but essentially speaking, W 10 is just a major update of former Windows OS versions. Any further change can be applied as a sequences of compatible updates package without much issues, although I don't know how it will still remain whether they decide to make some drastic tweaks over the kernel.

Comment

Retaining the same name is just one part of the story. Keeping the same look and feel is the main part of the user experience. Just look at how Android developed. Each new version has a different name. However, when you upgrade to a new version, you don't have a steep learning curve. Maybe a few icons are not exactly where they last were but you don't have to look high and low to find them. When Microsoft made the first break from the traditional Windows look and feel, there was a hue and cry over the missing start button. That's the kind of thing which agitates the user base. Microsoft can change and must change the underlying code to keep up with the hardware advances but they must keep the look and feel consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by mooray View Post
                    I don't think so. Microsoft 10 is excellent but I don't think it will be the final Operating System from Microsoft.Technology evolves and 10 or 20 years down the line Microsoft will be forced to come up with something new.
                    My sentiments exactly! Microsoft Windows is the most used OS for desktop and laptop computers. I think that it wouldn't simply stop evolving just like how technology never stops growing. I believe Microsoft would either release a newer version of Windows or come up with an entirely different OS.

Comment

Technology will always keep evolving so will systems and windows? I personally think that they will not stop releasing versions of Windows unless they make the Windows 10 version something incredibly amazing that anybody would pay absolutely any price to get ahold of, I barely think that is going to happen, but it's not impossible, if it is or it is not the last version, we should not really care about it, we should just care about enjoying it and taking the best from it.

Comment

Make Wiindows 10 so amazing that people will pay any price to get it? No, I doubt if that's going to ever happen. So far, from what I have seen, Microsoft's marketing strategy had been based on the concept of a captive user base. It used to be like, "if not Windows, what else?" Now users can just skip the Windows thing altogether by using Android. There was a period of time of several months when I solely used my Android devices to get my work done. I even edited videos on my tablet. It's no longer a case of "if not Windows, what else". Microsoft must come up with more attractive reasons for people to keep on using Windows. Otherwise, it's going the way of the dodo.

Comment

I did not know that W10 was the last one to be released. I wonder what they are going to do. It's probably like how they just decided to release XBOX ONE instead of a new version of the 360.

They will keep creating new OS's in the future I believe. They should focus more now on making the features that they have currently much better for the consumers on all devices. Compatibility issues for web developers need to be addressed. I hate designing websites on IE, but now EDGE seems to be promising.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                            I did not know that W10 was the last one to be released. I wonder what they are going to do. It's probably like how they just decided to release XBOX ONE instead of a new version of the 360.

They will keep creating new OS's in the future I believe. They should focus more now on making the features that they have currently much better for the consumers on all devices. Compatibility issues for web developers need to be addressed. I hate designing websites on IE, but now EDGE seems to be promising.
                            I personally think it's more like the Xbox ONE and the Xbox One S, and yes, most people say that's the last OS that Microsoft will release, that means there are no more Windows version going to be released, that's what people think, but we never know what can come from Microsoft, you know those people are always playing with their customers' feelings and whanot, but it's good to be patient and see how it goes for Microsoft and Windows 10.

Comment

I don't think Windows 10 will be the last, but it may take long before they will start working on a new one. I think it will be like what happened to Windows XP where they had several versions, Win XP original to Win XP 3 until they eventually graduated to Vista or Windows 2000. Windows 10, after all, could use a lot of upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                              X