Do we really like "apps"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we really like "apps"?

Does anyone else hate the idea of "apps" as much as I do? I'm not sure exactly why it bothers me so much, but it does.

Sure we've always had them, they have always existed, but they way the are implemented now... I dunno.

I really bothered me when Mavericks OS X introduced this type of thing and I moved away from it for a while. Granted I got used to it, but still.

I just have this feeling that just because the "app" platform works with phones/tablets, doesn't mean it generally works with PCs.

Well that a big discussion.. Apps were created for one reason. Microsoft wanted to find a solution for mobile devices.
    It is impossible on a mobile device to work with start menu, expandable menus, classic desktop, and all these complicated settings.

They had to find a solution, but im not 100% sure that copying Apple and Android solves the problem. Microsoft has it's unique operating system (Windows) profile.
    Users like it on desktop PC's.

I dont think that Microsoft should try to make it bot for desktop and mobile use, It is impossible.
    They are two different device types with different user needs. If micorsoft continue to work with desktops and improve them (like did with XP) i think that success is guaranrteed.
    This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Tyler Durden
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Some mobile apps are fantastic. They don't really translate well to desktop though and I agree with Rafail in that distinction between the two is needed, rather than attempting to unify things. Windows always appears to be quite "hit and miss" for me - they release a couple of versions which are a massive success, them follow them with a problematic version that only serves to harm their reputation.

Comment

I personally do not like apps on the desktop. They're fine to use on my phone but not on my PC. I really hope this app phase with desktop operating systems fades away.

Comment

I'm not much of an app user, I just run the default ones from time to time +some few that I selected, like Flipboard and file managers. I don't like the forced full screen, but that's gonna be fixed in Win10.

Comment

Yes , really that Forced full screens on games disgusting. Some times after closing game whole desktop icons are re-arranged
            This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
            Tyler Durden
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rafail View Post
              Yes , really that Forced full screens on games disgusting. Some times after closing game whole desktop icons are re-arranged
              Rearranging the icons is due to the poorly scaled apps, it's one of the things that would be fix just by keeping them windowed.

Comment

I really hate the apps however a lot of casual computer users love them. It also helped them integrate it into mobile devices very easily. I just use Windows 8, and will do the same with 10, as if it were Windows 7. I also have a start menu button so I don't even deal with the Start screen (though I can still go to it).

Comment

Originally posted by Epicfied View Post
                  I really hate the apps however a lot of casual computer users love them. It also helped them integrate it into mobile devices very easily. I just use Windows 8, and will do the same with 10, as if it were Windows 7. I also have a start menu button so I don't even deal with the Start screen (though I can still go to it).
                  Fortunately, win 10 have start menu. It were i big problem on win 8, so many user intalled custom start menus like "Classic Shell". The start screen changed and now you have at once your desktop.
                  Spyros...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Spyros View Post
                    Fortunately, win 10 have start menu. It were i big problem on win 8, so many user intalled custom start menus like "Classic Shell". The start screen changed and now you have at once your desktop.
                    I actually didn't realize it would have a start menu. I have a custom start menu from Classic Shell at the moment. It definitely makes Windows 8 better.
                    I think the lack of a start menu irritated a lot of users. I'm glad they fixed that.

Comment

When Windows 8 came out there was this weird separation between apps and the usual programs. Two versions of IE and other apps was kind of weird. Eventually I think we just got used to it, but there's still a weird separation between what is designed for touch screens and what is not. Apps don't play well on regular desktops to some extent.

Comment

at first the idea of apps really was annoying because I had no idea what it was in a just seem like they were taking away the identity of basic software by naming it something different. So they could pass for something that was more interesting. But realistically after a while when they started to create useful apps that work not just copies of programs that already existed then I became interested.

Comment

The first time I ever encountered apps on my Windows computer, I really found it so weird. It just does not feel anymore like the old PC. I was using XP for a long long time and so the concept of apps was really something new at that time when I finally switched to another version. Good thing I was already using an iPhone and I know somehow how apps work.

Overall, I think apps are really neat and they make things much more easier to use. Of course, it's very important that you limit the apps installed on your computer to the ones that you actually use, otherwise, you'll feel that there are so many useless apps that get in the way. That's the first thing I did, I uninstalled everything that I've never heard of or those that I don't see any use even in the future.

Comment

I like having the options for both. While Windows is pretty good about dependencies and all that, there are still some runtimes and things required (I'm looking at you .NET!) to run. Apps kind of take care of that issue - they are completely independent of other applications and don't require you to have this runtime or that DLL installed.

Plus, I kind of like being able to have access to the same games and utilities on my desktop and my Surface. I really wish they'd hurry up and get The Simpsons Tapped Out ported to Windows. :P

Comment

I like the concept of apps and i think that it is a good idea and it really works well. I think that it is a better thing than have to lug around huge programs. I think that apps make it simpler for the user and there is less of that smart computer stuff. It is usually plug and play. A straight forward solution.

Comment

Working...
                              X