Slowing down with full hard drive.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowing down with full hard drive.

Does having a full hard drive really slow your computer down. I remember when I upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10, my computer was still quit fast but ever since my hard drive is fuller it seems to be a little slower. Should I buy an external drive and keep my computer as empty as possible or is it something else?

To be honest I have never really known this answer, but I have always wondered it. Maybe I was too embarrassed to ask, and too afraid of the scorn from the computer people who would shame me for not knowing. Of course I am kidding, but there probably is a little truth to it. I do not think it matters, and RAM is the read determining factor, but I cannot help but think there is some correlation there. The extent, though, I really do not know. Interesting though, and thanks for sharing.

Comment

There is a big performance difference between a brand new computer and one that has been used for a while. I know that as we start using a computer we start to install more software on it and that can to a certain degree account for the lack of speed that we start experiencing but I have come across some computers that aren't connected to the internet and are just used for storage and they seem get sluggish as the drive fills up. Then again it could be the antivirus that slows the computer down since it does a quick test of all the fills on the computer. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Comment

Having a full hard drive can influence the speed of your computer. The more programs and data that you have on your hard drive can influence the amount of programs that are running in the background of your computer even if you are not actively using them. I would suggested using ctrl alt delete and opening up the list of programs your machine is currently running. You can then try to close certain programs that are eating up your memory, you may have to do this every time you start your computer but you should see an increase in performance. After a while you should be able to know exactly what programs you can close that won't affect anything that you are doing. This won't address the issue of full memory but it might help with the performance of the programs you are actively using. I hope this helps, let me know how it works for you. Thanks!

Comment

I didn't even know this was possible. I filled up my hard drive some weeks ago, and it was always going slow. It even loaded much slower than normal, and I noticed it.

I thought I had a virus or something, but it was all the entertainment content that I had. I deleted 110 gigs of data and it sped up instantly. I was super happy. I thought it slowed down when you were trying to run several things at once because the ram couldn't handle all of the processes. I seek to buy bigger sata drives, but not right now. I learned my lesson, I hated when my browsers were loading slow. I really thought it was a virus.

Comment

Two things happen in the hard drive as we go on using our computers. One, it gets filled up with stuff. Two, it gets filled up with stuff which are fragmented. The first phenomenon is easy to understand. When we use our computers, we just keep on loading it with stuff which we like. We fill our hard drive with all kinds of songs, pictures and songs. Then we forget to do housekeeping. We forget to throw out the trash. The computer needs space on the hard drive for something called the swap. It's a space on the hard drive which is used to keep things which overflow from the memory. So when the hard drive get full, there is not much space left for the swap. That's when the computer begins to slow down.

Two, as we add files and delete files, we created little pockets of empty spaces on our hard drives. New data will be saved to the first available free space. And the next. And the next. Eventually, a file will be saved in little bits and places all over the place. When we need the file, the computer will have to pick up the data from little bits and pieces here and there. That's when it becomes slow.

So, what to do?

First, have a regular housekeeping schedule. Once a week, perhaps, look over your files and delete the ones which you don't use anymore. The biggest space hoggers are video files. I always delete a movie after I have watched it. That way, I keep the video folder clean.

Next, after removing the trash, use a defrag utility to get all your files back in contiguous pieces again instead of being in bits and pieces all over the place. This is an automated process. Just set it to work. Click the option to shutdown the computer after it has finished. Then go to sleep. Next morning, your computer should be sprightly again.

Comment

Working...
            X